The past week has been a busy one!
- Pope to Step Down—Pope Benedict XVI announced he would be stepping down from the Papacy Feb. 28th, citing declining physical and mental health as hindrances to capably fulfilling the duties of Pope in the future. The College of Cardinals will have to scramble to meet and elect a new Pope, they aren’t expected to reach a decision until mid-to-late March.
- North Korea Tests Nuclear Weapons—Triggering seismic activity that was picked up internationally, North Korea conducted its third nuclear test (the first two were in 2006 and 2009). The tests were widely condemned by the international community.
- Los Angeles Manhunt Ends—The hunt for the alleged killer of a couple and two cops comes to an end after the LAPD corner him in a cabin and use tear gas to force him out. He commits suicide.
- Powerless Cruise Ship Reaches Land—The Carnival cruise ship Triumph, which had been stranded in the Gulf of Mexico for several days with limited or nonworking sewage system and electricity, reached land after being pulled by tugboat.
- DORITOS LOCOS TACOS COOL RANCH—IT’S HAPPENING. MARCH 7TH. THAT’S A THURSDAY.
- Russian Meteorite—A meteor breaks up entering Earth near Chelyabinsk, Russia. Its shockwaves causes glass to shatter, causing injuries to ≈1200 people and damage to about 3000 buildings.